Occupational hazards can be minimized and eliminated if a good health and safety plan is in place. Setting up of a risk assessment and management program involves both the employer and the employee. There should be communication and cooperation between both parties since it also their interests which are at stake.
When there is an effective risk assessment and management program, the company undergoes a significant improvement in revenues, employee confidence, improved company safety records, and reduction in insurance premiums as well as employee’s compensation claims.
Employees, on the other hand, experience less accidents and work-related stress. There is a pleasant working environment and the workforce is highly productive as a result.
It would also make the workforce more competent if there is the system for continuous improvement and learning. Occupational health and safety trainings empower the workers and the company greatly benefits from this enhanced competency.
Some of the more important trainings which employers need to focus on are:
1. Industrial Safety Training – Knowing the safe practices when working in any industrial setting is very important. It is the duty of every worker to be familiar with fire safety methods, accident prevention, and the use of personal protective gears. Injury prevention would be more effective if workers understand how accidents occur and what can be done to avoid them.
2. Fire Safety Awareness Training – Fires and explosions can be destructive, not only in the property loss they can bring about but also in the potential loss of lives. Therefore, basic practical understanding of fire safety measures, fire prevention procedures, and high level of fire safety awareness should be part of the training process.
3. Material or Manual Handling Training – Manual handling injuries is one of the leading causes of the time workers take off from work. In this course, employees are introduces to safe techniques and work procedures used in handling manufacturing and industrial materials. Practical understanding and skills are provided to employees when they are handling these materials, such as correct lifting techniques and mechanical aids.
4. Confined Space Training – Confined space training is especially for workers whose job involve going in and out of confined spaces such as a tank, tunnel, etc. Entry and traversing skills are assessed as well as the correct use of safety gears.
5. Electrical Safety Training – Adequate knowledge on how electricity can be dangerous and the techniques on how to handle it. Everything starts in the correct installation and set up of your electric wirings and other electrical mechanisms. Employees are trained on the different methods used for protection against electrical accidents.
6. Chemical Handling Safety Training – When dealing with chemicals in the workplace, extra care should be taken. The two main reasons for chemical accidents are improper disposal of chemical wastes and the mishandling of chemicals. Awareness of the risks involved in handling these chemicals is important in preventing accidents in the workplace. Practical knowledge on the handling and disposal as well as recognizing common chemicals is part of this training module.
7. Water Hygiene Training – This is important especially with workers who are working with potable water, pipe works, and water systems. Contamination of water source should be avoided at all costs. The employees are trained so that they can understand the importance good hygiene when working with drinking water.
These trainings will greatly improve the workers competency in their jobs and everyone will be reaping the benefits. Employees are more capable at their jobs, employers see an increase in their return of investment, and the consumers are given the highest quality of the product or services.
Undergoing training for occupational health and safety is definitely a good investment for any company. It is not only important for the quality of the product or service but also in the continuing improvement of the company.